European Regional Development Fund
in more than one region
The national road no 7 constitutes one of the most important main communication routes in Poland joining Gdańsk with the border crossing point to Slovakia in the city of Chyżne. It joins together, inter alia, the following cities: Gdańsk, Elbląg, Warsaw, Radom, Kielce, Kraków. The planned national road no 7 is, at present, a single lane GP class road with the width of 3.5m+2m+1m. The road has one junction with the national road no 22, which is situated at the Raczki interchange and five junctions with poviat roads, some with gmina roads and several access roads to properties.
At the reconstructed section there are two bridges and three road flyovers as well as many culverts channelling melioration watercourses and rain water under the road embankment. The problems and needs resulting thereof cover: the applied section of road no 7 and related engineering facilities are characterised by bad technical condition (standards: SOSN: C and D) that affect the efficiency and safety of traffic for the users. Traffic forecasts point to a high risk of capacity loss on that section, which will create a bottleneck in the transport system on the national and regional scale preventing coherent development to the residents and enterprises.
Hence the reconstruction of national road no 7 will enable to achieve the following direct objectives:
- adjustment of the road surface load capacity to handle load of 11.5 T per axis;
- increasing load capacity of engineering facilities to the A class;
- decreasing the negative impact of transport on the contamination of the natural environment;
- increased traffic safety;
- elimination of bottlenecks and improved capacity.
Full investment implementation will contribute to the following general project objectives:
- improved road traffic conditions for transit traffic to the Kaliningrad Oblast and further on to Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia;
- improved road traffic conditions for transit traffic along the corridor Tricity-Elbląg-Warsaw-Kraków-Chyżne and further on to southern Europe;
- better access to the seaports in Gdańsk and Gdynia;
- development of the region and regional connections through improved transport handling;
- safer infrastructure;
- improved social and economic conditions.
Within the framework of construction of access roads in the scope necessary for proper operation of the national road no 7 and proper handling of nearby areas along the section from the junction with Nowodworska Street to the Elbląg - East interchange, it is planned to construct a 0.8 km long section of a Z class road - extension of the Akacjowa Street in Elbląg.
Three stages of the investment implementation were identified. As for the initial stage of the project the Contractor of project and necessary documentation was selected under a procurement procedure (stage I). It is planned to conduct a procurement procedure for the project supervisor (stage II). All planned sections will be simultaneously implemented by a single Contractor (stage III).
As a result of implementing the subsidised project the following effects will be achieved: increased number of vehicles using the reconstructed section of the national road no 7, improved load capacity of the road surface, drop in the costs of road accidents, drop in the operation costs of vehicles and drop in the costs of time of passengers and professional drivers.